After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at getting my Zwift on I’ve found a super simple, and relatively cheap, way of accessing the online cycle trainer. Oh I forgot, wire free to boot!
Want to know more? Here’s how!
So you will need (click the links):
- A turbo trainer
- A tv
- A Bluetooth cadence and speed sensor
- An Amazon firestick
- A phone/tablet to run Zwift on
- A zwift account
You can use almost any turbo trainer, it doesn’t have to be a smart turbo. All you need to be able to do is pedal! I have used my Elite force mag elastogel.
Well the bigger the better I suppose? Mine was an old 32” Samsung I had kicking around. Tv must have a hdmi input to run an Amazon firestick.
Bluetooth cadence and speed sensor
Less than £10 will get you one of these from eBay. This will provide the ride data for the Zwift app.
For £40 these things have to be one of the best little inventions in a long while. All the catch up tv and live free to air tv you want with a load of other handy apps alongside. And that’s what we will power the Zwift connection with.
Possibly the most expensive part of the whole affair. In honesty I did balk at the cost initially, £10 a month, but soon got over it after a quick trial seeing how it would reduce turbo boredom!
I’m running this all on an iPhone 6, but you can run on an iPad or on android compatibles as well. They must have Bluetooth capability and have it switched on.
Ok so you have all your stuff, here’s how you put it together.
1. Setup your turbo trainer in front of your tv at a sensible enough distance and height that you can see it when on the hoods.
2. Fit up your cadence/speed sensor as instructed.
Mine without zip ties cut!
3. Setup your amazon Firestick on the tv as instructed.
4. Install Zwift on your phone or tablet and setup an account.
5. Start the Firestick and go to the apps section. Download the app Airplay/DNLA received (this costs £1.84) as this is the app we will be screen mirroring to.
6. Run AirPlay and turn on screen mirroring on your phone/tablet. You should be able to select FireTV_99 in mirroring. You should now have your screen mirrored on the tv!
7. Start your Zwift app and login. On the paired devices screen select speed sensor and cadence sensor and follow the setup for turbo trainer and personal details.
8. Go zwifting!
Hope this is a help for anyone reading! I can’t say exactly how it would work for android devices but I can imagine it’s pretty similar.
Zwift mirrors smooth enough intro the big screen, I can imagine that it’s not as smooth as direct cable connection but it’s more than good enough for me!
Maybe I’ll see you around the cyber cycleways!